Our blogs | Employment Law

Student Visas – What you need to know when applying to study in the UK

05 September 2018
Student Visas – What you need to know when applying to study in the UK

Why choose the UK to study?

The UK is one of the most attractive places to study. It welcomes approximately 260,000 students every year. It offers diversity, world class teaching, a great place to live, which equips you for the global workplace and a qualification that is recognisable in many countries.

How can you study in the UK?

In order to study in the UK, you can apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa, if you are 16 or over and you:

  • can speak, read, write and understand English;
  • have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course
  • are from a country that is not in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
  • have an unconditional offer of a place on a course with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor

What is a CAS?

Your education provider will send you a reference number called a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) once they have offered you a place on a course. You’ll need to enter this on your visa application.

You must apply for your visa no more than 6 months after you receive the CAS.

When should you apply?

The earliest you can apply for a visa is 3 months before you start your course. You will usually get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.

How much will it cost you?

It costs £348 to apply for this visa from outside the UK. You must pay £348 per person for any dependants.

You will also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application.

How long will you be able to stay in the UK?

You can arrive in the UK before your course starts:

  • up to 1 week before, if your course lasts 6 months or less
  • up to 1 month before, if your course lasts more than 6 months

How long you can stay depends on the kind of course you are doing and what study you have already completed.

What can you do when you are in the UK?

You can:

  • study
  • work as a student union sabbatical officer
  • apply from inside or outside the UK
  • apply to extend your stay
  • work in most jobs – depending on what level your course is and what kind of sponsor you have

You cannot:

  • get public funds
  • work in certain jobs, for example professional sportsperson or sports coach
  • study at an academy or a local authority-funded school (also known as a maintained school)

For more information on student visa or how to apply for a student visa contact us on 020 7903 6888 or email v.dass@davenportsolicitors.com.

Stay in touch with Davenport Solicitors. Subscribe to our newsletter for latest events and updates on Employment, Immigration law and HR.